Home Care Packages

If you want to stay in your own home as you get older, but need some help with things like cleaning and preparing meals, or with transport so you can go shopping or attend appointments, a Home Care Package may be what you are after. Home Care Package provides a co-ordinated package of services tailored to meet your specific care needs to help you to stay in your own home, and give you choice and flexibility in the way your care and services are provided to you .
There are four levels of Home Care Packages which can give you the care and services you need:
•    Level 1 supports people with basic care needs
•    Level 2 supports people with low-level care needs
•    Level 3 supports people with intermediate care needs
•    Level 4 supports people with high-level care needs.
The Australian Government provides funding to the service provider, who then delivers care and services to you, depending on the amount of services you need.
To find out how much assistance you can get, someone from your My Aged Care will come and talk with you and assess your need. Read more about My Aged Care, here
When you take up a Home Care Package you can talk things over with a Case Manager. This is someone who you work in partnership with to identify your goals and needs, and co-design the best ways to deliver care and services so you can live a more active and independent life.
The services that can be provided in a Home Care Package include personal services, such as help with showering or bathing, dressing and getting around. You might also be after support services, such as help with washing and ironing, house cleaning, gardening, basic home maintenance, home modifications related to your care needs, transport to help you do shopping, visit your doctor or get out and about to see your friends. Also available under a Home Care Package is clinical care, for instance, nursing and other health support including physiotherapy (exercise, mobility, strength and balance), services of a dietician (nutrition assessment, food and nutrition advice, dietary changes) and hearing and vision services. For more information about what sort of help you can get with a Home Care Package, here.


Aboriginal Home Care Packages


What is a Home Care Package?

KADS and TCS provide packages of funding designed to support elderly Aboriginal people who wish to remain in their own home and communities. Services that can be provided with one of these packages may include help with some housework, help looking after some personal care, a hand with transport, or support to get into town to your appointments, shopping or just to get out of the house.
KADS and TCS also have staff who can help you sort out how to keep track of your package of funding, make sure you know what options you have as to how you use your package, and are available to answer any questions you have along the way.


How Can I find out more?

If you live in Uralla to Guyra, Walcha to Kingstown, Tamworth or surrounds, call 02 6778 6350.
You can also find general information about Aboriginal Home Care Packages here, or to start your application.


How do I get Started?

You will need to have an assessment to find out how much funding you can access in your package. To arrange this, you can either call 1800 200 422 or view here
If you specifically like the services KADS and TCS have to offer, and would like to work with us to meet your goals, mention this when you make the call to My Aged Care and your request will be sent straight to us so we can come out after your assessment, meet you to get things started.


How will it affect me as a self funded retiree?

Self-funded retirees have an income tested fee capped at $10,000 a year. These are people whose income is higher than $47,881.60, they can be asked to pay both a basic fee and an income tested care fee. Below are websites that can help you calculating costs.

What if the client can’t afford to pay?

The Australian Government recognises that not everyone can afford to pay aged care fees and charges. If you can’t afford to pay, don’t worry, there are hardship provisions to ensure that you can still receive the care you need.

What is financial hardship assistance?

Financial hardship assistance helps you when you have difficulty paying fees and charges for Home Care Packages or an aged care home. Your fees and charges may be reduced or waived according to your individual circumstances. In these circumstances, the Australian Government will pay some or all of your fees and charges on your behalf.

Hardship assistance will be granted in circumstances beyond your control, such as difficulties selling your home, and not due to a choice you have made (such as giving away your assets).

Will I be eligible for Home Care Package financial hardship assistance?

You will not be eligible for financial hardship assistance for Home Care Package costs if you:

  • are a self-funded retiree and have not completed and lodged an income assessment form with the Department of Human Services
  • have gifted more than $10,000 in the previous 12 months or more than $30,000 in the previous 5 years
  • have assets, unless they are unrealisable assets, valued at more than $33,813.00 (from September 2015).

For Home Care Packages, the value of your assets will be taken into account as part of the assessment process for financial hardship assistance.

How do I apply for financial hardship assistance?

To apply for financial hardship assistance you must complete and lodge the relevant Department of Human Services application for financial hardship assistance form. There are separate forms for Home Care Packages and aged care homes. For Home Care Packages, if you are a self-funded retiree you must have completed and lodged an income assessment form with the Department of Human Services. For aged care homes you must have completed and lodged an income and assets assessment, known as a means tested assessment, form with the Department of Human Services.

This budget seems very complicated and I don’t really understand it. Does that matter?

Your Support Facilitator  will visit with you and explain and show you how your budget works for you. A monthly statement of income and expenditure will be sent to you showing you what and how much has been spent.

What if I want to go away for a couple of week?

You have right to go away if you choose as long as you inform your Support Facilitator /Admin of the dates you will be away and temporarily suspend services.

What if I don’t use all the money each year, what happens to it?

Unused monies will roll over each year and if you need to purchase or increase services your support facilitator will be able to guide you on money in your package.

What does CDC mean?

Consumer Directed Care (CDC) gives older people and their carer’s greater say about the types of care services they receive and the delivery of those services. CDC gives you more choice and control over the types of care and services you receive. It’s about The Right Care, Right Time and the Right place. Our aim is to keep you living independently at home as long as possible.

What is an individualised budget?

Everyone will have government allocated funds which will be held by your service provider. An individualised budget will be completed for the consumer’s package care outing the costs involved in providing services. You will receive a monthly statement outlining how much has been spent, balance of funds and any contributions made.

Do I have to pay a fee?

The Australian government covers most of the cost of care but your provider may ask you to contribute to towards the cost of delivering your services, if you can afford to do so.

What if I receive a part pension?

If you are in receipt of a means-tested income support payment from the Department of Human Services or the Department of Veterans’ Affairs (such as the Age Pension or the Service Pension),  you will not need to lodge an income assessment form. If you are a member of a couple, this applies even if your partner does not also receive a means-tested income support payment. The Department of Human Services or Department of Veterans’ Affairs will have sufficient details (including your partner’s details, where applicable) to work out your income tested care fee. You and your provider will be advised in writing of your fees.


Home Care Packages
Aboriginal Home Care Packages
KADS Home Care Packages